Saturday, September 8, 2012

Stress Reducers

A happy, calm, cool, and collected teacher equals happy, calm, cool and collected students.  But with new Common Core Learning Standards, new teacher evaluations, new students, and a new year there is a lot on our plate to stress us out.  So how do we stay happy, calm, cool and collected?


Here are a few of my stress reducers:


Diet Cherry Coke/Pepsi
My favorite drink, this week, is Diet Cherry Coke, or Pepsi, whichever is on sale.  I keep my fridge at school stocked with it.  A sip of this stuff is like a little heaven in my mouth.

Long Walks
After dinner, my husband and I take our Springer Spaniel and Siberian Husky for a long walk.  We usually walk for an hour and a half.  There is a really nice park about a mile from our house.  It has a pond and ducks.  The walk not only relaxes me, but calms the dogs down for the night.  Where do I find time for a nightly long walk?  I make time for it.  It is one of my priorities.  My night does not feel complete with out it.  On a stormy night, my husband and I work out at our local YMCA.

Zumba
If you haven't tried a Zumba class you are missing out.  Zumba is not just group exercise, it is a party.  Check out the Zumba website for a list of all the class times near you.  Classes usually last an hour and are high energy with fun music.  I always leave a class with my heart pumping and my mood elevated.

Calming Music
If I've had a stressful day I listen to some of my favorite music on the car ride home.  (I have a long ride - 50 minutes on a good day.)  Sometimes it helps to play tranquil sounds or calming music rather than my favorite tunes from the radio.  Rather than reflect on what frustrated me, I try to think about what went well and how I can make tomorrow better.  After a few minutes I try to focus on clearing my mind and living in the moment so I can transition to my home life and not bring home any baggage from school.

Creating
I love creating things for my home and classroom.  Pinterest is full of beautiful ideas.  In my spare time I like to create crafts, projects, and materials for my classroom.  Some things I post on my Teachers Pay Teachers Store or on Pinterest.  Somethings are just for my own simple pleasure.  Find a hobby you love and the "me time" spent working on your hobby will not only provide you with stress relief, but pure joy.

How do you stay happy, calm, cool, and collected?

What are your stress reducers?

6 comments:

4321Teach said...

It is the time for stress reduction. It sounds like you are facing a lot of the same things my co blogger and I are. We blogged about stress relief to. My fave way to reduce stress is retail therapy (dollar aisle style). :)

EmilyK

April Walker said...

I enjoy walking, yoga, sleep. Yesterday, I took a bath, nap, and some shopping. I had brunch on a patio and enjoyed some beautiful weather as well.
~April Walker
The Idea Backpack
Come on over and linkup your technology tips post and enter my giveaway!

Casey Wiggins said...

I enjoy Dr. Pepper from the fountain at McDonalds. I know it sounds crazy but it has a unique taste that no one else can hold a candle to.

I also read other people's blogs and other teachers help me realize that it is okay to be human, we all are. :)

Casey
Second Grade Math Maniac: Pencil Sharpener Giveaway!

Emily said...

I love spending time with my family - they remind me of my priorities in life... all the paperwork can wait until another moment.

Emily
I Love My Classroom
www.ilovemyclassroom.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.