Monday, July 16, 2012

Math Projects for Monday Made It

Hey Yall!  I'm linking up with Tara again for my absolute favorite day of the week:  Monday Made It!  This week I decided to showcase a few of my summer projects that focus on math!

First off, I could not get enough of these amazing dice shakers from Primary Inspired.  I ran out immediately after seeing them and had to make them for myself . I swung by Dollar Tree to get some glitter, dice, glue, gems.  Then I ran to Wegmans to purchase some tiny water bottles.  For some reason, they kind of remind me of mini rocket ships.  Weird!


Any who, I pulled off the labels.  Luckily, they didn't leave any sticky residue.  I popped in 2 dice and sprinkled in a little glitter.  Then I decided to glue the top back on so my little friends can't open them and accidentaly pour the water out during centers....not that they would ever do that, right?


I glued a gem to the top and drew on a couple of simple doodles with the glitter glue.  They came out pretty cute.  I can't wait to use them during math centers for some quiet dice rolling action.  You can check out one of the games that we use dice for right here.



Next, I had to create something robot-ish for my classroom.  Working number sense activities into my daily routine is a must for next year.  My kiddos are also going to need lots of chances to practice their math facts.  So, I devised a game:  Robot Swat.

I found these adorable fly swatters at Dollar Tree.  (They have others that come in shapes like butterflies and flowers.)  I printed off some robot clipart, laminated it, and glued a copy to each side.  I used a hot glue gun so it would stick strong and fast.  Here are pictures of my first two.  However, I ended up making four.



Then I created, cut out, and laminated gears with numbers and operation signs.  I also created some cards with math facts and guess my operation problems.  My thought is that students will get a fly swatter, when they see the problem card they will race to see who can swat the correct gear first.  Whoever swats the correct gear first, wins, and gets to play again.  The other 3 students must pass on their robot (fly) swatters to new students to play.  Here's a pic of my playing against my husband with just the number gears.


I envision my students playing this during morning meeting or as a math warm-up.  They will be gathered around in a circle, with the gears spread out in the middle.  I will select 2-4 students to play at a time.  After students learn how to play I might even make this one of our math centers.

Want a copy of my robot swat game?  You can download it here at my Teachers Pay Teachers store.  For today only, all my math materials are 20% off.  Stock up now for back to school!



Check out all the other cool projects on Tara's site for Monday Made It!

15 comments:

Susan Manning said...

I've just awarded you two blogging awards although I see you have already won them once! Great blog!! Pick them up at my website...or since you've already won before, I guess you can skip that part!

http://owlroom.blogspot.com/

Jill said...

I love the fly shatters so cute. I want to try the quiet dice, I know it would be great. Thanks for sharing.

Jill
Bubbalulu.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I love the dice in a bottle! Thanks for sharing. By the way, I am a new follower. I would love to have you visit me and link up on my "Blogs of Inspiration" page.
Happy Teaching,
Laura
TIPS: Teach, Inspire, and Prepare Students

Unknown said...

I LOVE the dice in a bottle. So cute! It makes me want to go out and purchase the items to make them today. Thanks for sharing all of your cute ideas. I'm a new follower.

Krista
stellar-students

Miss Nelson said...

Your dice bottles are fabulous.

✣ Miss Nelson✣
Miss Nelson’s Blog

Leanne Helums said...

Love the dice bottles. What a quiet way to use them.

Cathy :) said...

Love the game idea! How fun! I might have to do something like that for my 2nd graders to go with my rainforest theme! Thanks for the inspiration!
Cathy :)
http://cisforcookiesclasscrafts.blogspot.com

Lisa R. said...

What a great idea! I love your dice bottles and the robot swat is the cutest thing ever!! I love it all! :)
Lisa
Learning Is Something to Treasure

Kelly said...

The dice bottles are such a fun idea!

Kelly @ I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

Julie Sawyer said...

Love these dice shakers -- I may have to go out and get some bottles! Just followed your blog.

Julie
Math is Elementary

A Teacher Without a Class said...

I love the bottles, especially the quiet dice rolling time during math centers!

The Craft of Teaching said...

I love the dice bottles! And good thinking hot gluing the lids on...I would have forgotten that and suffered the consequences! LOL

I teach 4th grade too! Come check out my blog if you have a minute!

Nichole
Craft of Teaching

Tara said...

Love your robot swat game!!! Those dice shakers are so stinkin amazing!!!! Might be having to make those!!!! Thanks for linking up:))

4th Grade Frolics

jmommymom said...

Dice in a bottle is a very neat idea. I've never heard of that before. If you're looking for new math center ideas you may want to check out Speed!

Speed! is a skip-counting card game created to help kids learn multiplication. It is available both as physical cards and now on the iPad. I created the game to help my daughter learn multiplication and it worked great. My husband is a computer engineer and created the iPad version. We hope you can find some use for it in your classroom.

Julie
http://highhillhomeschool.blogspot.com/p/highhill-educational-supplies.html
http://highhillhomeschool.blogspot.com/2013/01/speed-is-in-ipad-app-store.html

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.