Monday, July 9, 2012

Plastic Bin and Toolbox Organization for Monday Made It

This week, for Tara's Monday Made It, I am posting pics of some of my plastic drawer storage that I recently spruced up.


First off, I have my lovely toolbox.  My inspiration came from the hundreds of other toolboxes that have been floating around over the last few weeks.  I think the first one I saw was from Create Teach Share.  Trying to stick with my robot theme I added a head on top along with a pencil holder.  Ok, so it doesn't really look like a robot.  You'll have to squint to see it.  Look for the eyes and the smiley face.


I use the plastic drawers from Walmart to store papers and handouts.  One is used for our reading center materials for the week and the other two are used for my handouts for the week, organized by subject.  You can download some of these labels here and here.



I have 5 iPods that we use in our classroom.  I house them in a 5-drawer plastic bin.  Each drawer contains one iPod.  I number them and assign students a specific number iPod.  This helps me hold students accountable for how they handle the iPods.  My husband drilled a hole in the back of each drawer so that I could run the wires through to easily charge them.  My school provided me with a super cool charger that plugs into the wall and can charge up to 4 iPods at a time.  When students place their iPod back into the drawer, they hook it up to charge.  I know I know...4 iPods can charge at once, but I have 5.  I usually have around 20 students in class and I divide them into 5 groups of 4 for reading centers.  Therefore, I usually do not have to assign anyone the 5th iPod.  It sits as a back up in case we have trouble with one of the first four or it is used for other things.  However, to charge it, I just rotate it through the other drawers at night and place it back in the correct drawer in the morning.  I typically only have to do this once a week since it is used less often.  You can download my iPod labels here.




I'd love to find a charger for my iPods that plugs into the wall and can charge all 5 at once.  If you happen to know where one is please let me know. 

Link up with Tara for Monday Made It and check out all the super cool things everyone made this week.

*  *  *  *  *  UPDATE - 7/10/12 *  *  *  *  *

Thanks for all the great compliments!  Here is a copy of a cursive label that you can add to your plastic storage bins (if you are making one).  I received the iPod charger from my school about 2 years ago.  I looked it up online and you can still buy one.  You can purchase one at Amazon.  It is on sale for $9.99.  Not a bad deal for the convenience it brings.

31 comments:

Kindertrips said...

Great stuff! Thank you for sharing!
Jennifer
kindertrips

Unknown said...

Your labels are really pretty! I love it.
Good robot!
~Andi

Tara said...

Super great and CUTE storage ideas!! Those ipod storage containers with the holes in the back are brilliant!!! Thanks so much for sharing and linking up;)))


4th Grade Frolics

Mrs. E said...

I love, love, love your ipod setup! Very cool idea!!!
Audrey
The Sweet Life of Third Grade

4321Teach said...

What a great idea about the ipod cords and storage. Love it!

EmilyK

Anonymous said...

I love your cute robot toolbox! And the charging station is a great idea!

Kara
Spedventures

Brandi said...

Cute and functional. Thanks for sharing. Would love for you to stop by my blog sometime!

Brandi
Success in Second Grade

Katie said...

love your labels! i use those bins for my papers too, just snatched up the labels. thanks!

Katie said...

Anyway you could make a Cursive label for me? I teach 3rd grade, and Cursive is big for us.

ktfaught@yahoo.com

Mrs. Eimer said...

I love these labels! I will have to use these to spruce up my own containers! Thanks for sharing!

Courtney
3rd Grade Sprinkles

A Teacher Without a Class said...

The i-pod holder is so cool! I am sure it is nice not to have the cords get all tangled. I am your newest follower. I would love to have you come by and visit.

www.ateacherwithoutaclass.com

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! You are so organized! I'm trying really hard this year to get organized & stay that way! Thanks for sharing! I love the pic of your desk!

Primary Inspired

Sara said...

Very Cool! Love the iPod storage idea...The only multiple charging station that I've seen before are ones that have only 4 slots. Sorry! Hopefully you find something...

Great job on your projects!

~Sara~
Ramblings of a Deaf Ed Teacher's Mind...

Wolfelicious said...

Great labels!! I too love the charger!!

April
Wolfelicious

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the labels! Great way to stay organized! :)
TeachPrayLove

Amanda Madden said...

What a cool charger!! Just found you through the linky and am your newest follower.


Amanda
Teaching Maddeness
Come join my linky party!

Jena Snowden said...

I LOVE THE iPOD DRAWER IDEA!!! Totally awesome. I pinned it! :)

Jena
1st Grade with Miss Snowden

Heather Temske said...

I could totally see the robot. I think your iPod charging set up/storage is genius

Heather
room 4 imagination

Jill said...

This is such a fun project and so creative. Thanks for sharing.

Jill
Bubbalulu.blogspot.com

Polka Dots and Teaching Tots said...

Love the iPods! Speaking of which... I'm hosting a link party today and would love if you would stop by. We're talking about favorite iPad/iPod apps in the classroom! Polka Dots and Teaching Tots

Anonymous said...

I love the iPod storage as well. I can't wait to get to started on it. Do you happen to know the brand of the charger your school got you? Thanks for your help.

April Walker said...

Love all the labels!
~April
The Idea Backpack
ideabackpack@gmail.com

Kelly said...

I love that idea for storing ipods - may even have to use it at home it seems like my boys have a hard time keeping track of theirs.

I am following from Wild About Teaching.

Jenn Long said...

I love your storage for your iPods! I have iPads and I'm thinking your system might work for me too!
Thanks for sharing!

A Pirates Life for Us

Katie Lyon said...

Have you thought of getting a USB port multiplier? You can plug it into one of the USB ports on the adapter you have and use the plug ports on the multiplier for your iPods. http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?lt1=_blank&bc1=000000&IS2=1&bg1=FFFFFF&fc1=000000&lc1=0000FF&t=mrslyosblotea-20&o=1&p=8&l=as4&m=amazon&f=ifr&ref=ss_til&asins=B0028Y4F4S

I use that when I need extra USB ports for things just like this.

Mrs. Lyon's Blog - Teaching: The Art of Possibility

Controlling My Chaos said...

I love your charger set-up. It's brilliant! Your labels are pretty too.

Anonymous said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the iPod idea!!!!!!!

Brianne

From Behind the Lavender Door

Carolyn said...

I love the idea, you know all the people will stop to your page and check what you have done regarding your gadgets. They are very organized.

iPad Mini Stylus said...

Super great and CUTE storage ideas!

Sean Ahner said...

I adore the creativity of the students. The design were done perfectly and matches the type of the school.

LizsWares said...

powerdock 5
it's pricey, shop around you might find a good price on ebay.
it charges 5 at a time. I'm thinking you could remove the 'dividers', then put it behind or under the drawer set.

http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Technology-GC35538-PowerDock-5/dp/B00BHHBV5I