Saturday, August 18, 2012

Lauren's Hope

Today my first medical ID bracelet arrived in the mail.  It caught me by surprise because I just ordered it a few days ago.  I must say...it was love at first sight!


It was told to get a medical ID back in March when I was first diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.  Then I was reminded again a few weeks ago when I started wearing an insulin pump.  I kept putting it off.  I didn't want to wear my medical condition on my wrist.  I didn't want it to define me.  I didn't want to display my "handicap."  I also didn't like the way medical ID's looked.  Ugh...not for me.

However, with a 2 hour round trip drive to work each day spending that much time in the car leaves me at a high risk for potentially having low blood sugar while driving.  If I were to get in an accident someone might wrongly assume that I'd be drunk.  Wearing a medical ID might very well save my life one day.

I decided to do a little research online and came across a wonderful website: Lauren's Hope.  Lauren's Hope has an array of wonderful medical ID bracelets, necklaces and more.  They are cute yet functional.  The best part is that the actual engraved ID detaches from each bracelet so you can purchase more than one strand and interchange them based on your outfit.  When you sign up for the emails you hear about frequent discounts on specific bracelets.  After spending hours contemplating which bracelet I'd like, I finally settled on Sparkling Ice.  I love how it will match any outfit I pick out and it sparkles in the sun.  I can't wait to wear on my first day back to school. 
Know anyone who is contemplating getting a medical ID?  Check out Lauren's Hope!


2 comments:

Dani said...

Your bracelet is beautiful! My mom wears one too (also from Lauren's Hope). She puts the medical part on the under side of her wrist. I even forget it's not just a regular bracelet sometimes!

-Dani

The Colorful Apple said...

Those are really pretty. My mom used to have to wear one and they weren't very nice looking way back when. I really like yours!

Sara :)
Smiling In Second Grade