Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Tried it Tuesday - Fractions on a Number Line

Today I'm linking up with Holly from Fourth Grade Flipper for Tried it Tuesday.

Photobucket

We have just finished up our fractions unit (based on the Common Core Standards) and I have lots to share with you.

Today I wanted to share how we kicked off our unit on fractions.  We started with fractions on a number line (3rd grade standard:  3.NF.A.2).  Although I teach 4th grade, last year students didn't receive much exposure with fractions on a number line so I definitely wanted to start with bridging this gab. 



I passed out fraction cards to students and they created a human number line.  We organized the cards from least to greatest and talked about which fractions were equivalent.

My students loved the fraction pictures on each card.  It definitaly made the sorting process a lot easier and erased the common misconception that the larger the denominator the greater the fraction.

I made a little worksheet to go along with it for some independent practice.  Then students used a cute little board game to review the concept during math centers.



You can download my Fractions on a Number Line Pack in  my Teachers Pay Teachers store.


Check out some of the other neat things teachers have tried for Tried it Tuesday!


6 comments:

Fourth Grade Flipper said...

Hi Jennifer!! Fractions, fractions, fractions...I am dreaming fractions! Haha!! Thank you for sharing this amazing resource you created and for linking up:)
~Holly
Fourth Grade Flipper

iTeach 1:1 said...

Fractions on a number line is a tough concept to teach! My fourth graders definitely struggle with this. I love the human number line idea.:)

Kristin
iTeach 1:1

Sarah K said...

This is a cute product! I've done a similar activity with index cards, but this is much more appealing!

Sarah
MissKinBK

Polka Dots and Teaching Tots said...

I feel like you could have started this post by saying "You know you're a NYS teacher when..." I think we're all eating, sleeping and dreaming in fractions right now with the sample questions that have recently come out. The human sort is an awesome idea and your product looks great!

Polka Dots & Teaching Tots

Magic Mistakes and Mayhem said...

What a great idea- getting them moving around and working together like that to reinforce the relationship between different (and equivalent) fractions.

I'll definitely be giving this a go!

Thanks for your great post and resource!

From your latest follower!

x Serena x
Magic Mistakes & Mayhem

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea to reinforce fractions.